• Venice Aka


Updated: Jul 1, 2021

I moved to Japan November 2018. It was a sudden decision I had make after accepting my partner’s wedding proposal. Let’s say I took a “leap of faith”. So I packed my bags, said goodbye to my job with Emirates, and flew to Japan to settle down. Photo from my Tokyo weddingBefore I moved to Japan, my husband and I, had already officially registered our marriage at local municipal government of Minato City in Tokyo while we were on vacation. But before that, it also took a month for me to gather all my necessary documents from my local government in Philippines. I was quite lucky because my sister back home helped me get all the documents and send it by air to Dubai. Considering my busy schedule, I honestly don’t know how I could have done it without her. Thank you sis!

1. LCCM application at the Philippine Embassy in Tokyo For the marriage registration, the government of Japan requires Filipino citizens to acquire the Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage(LCCM) from the Philippine Embassy branch which has jurisdiction over the local area where you plan to register your marriage. Tokyo branch Area of Jurisdiction includes: Akita, Aomori, Chiba, Fukushima, Gunma, Hokkaido, Ibaraki, Iwate, Kanagawa, Miyagi, Nagano, Niigata, Okinawa, Saitama, Shizuoka, Tochigi, Tokyo, Yamagata and Yamanashi Prefectures. LCCM Requirements: For Single Filipino

  • Valid Philippine Passport (original and 1 Photocopy)

  • Japanese Resident Card (original and 1 photocopy) *I was on Tourist visa that time so I just provided a copy of that page in my passport.

  • National Statistic Office or NSO Birth Certificate (original and 1 photocopy)

  • Red Ribbon of the NSO Certificate (original and 1 photocopy)

  • Certificate of No Marriage Record (CENOMAR) – all names must match the birth certificate and should be within the 6 months validity from date of issue.

  • Red Ribbon of CENOMAR (original and 1 photocopy)

  • Three passport-sized photos (for both you and your fiancé)

Both my Fiancé(now my husband) and I, were required to make a personal appearance and fill out the LCCM application form and the Affidavit of Civil Status.

Requirements for a Japanese national

  • Family Registry (Koseki Tohon), must be valid for three months – Original and one (1 photocopy)

  • Kaisei Gen Koseki or Joseki Tohon – If the koseki tohon does not indicate previous record of marriage, divorce and death of former spouse

  • Valid Passport or any valid ID with picture – Original and one (1 photocopy)

  • Three Passport-sized photos

Since we were in Tokyo, we processed the LCCM at Tokyo Philippine Embassy. They don’t have a photocopy facility, so if you need to photocopy your documents you have to walk 5 minutes to the nearest convenience store which is Familymart Roppongi East Shop. All Copies should be in A4 size paper. The personnels were very nice and accommodating. We humbly asked them if they could process the LCCM within the day since we have very limited time of stay in Japan, and they granted our request. We got the document just after 2 hours. Normally processing takes up to 10 working days.

https://tokyo.philembassy.net/While waiting for the document we ate at a nearby Filipino restaurant called New Nanay’s which I would rate an 8 out of 10.

Also see.. GETTING MARRIED IN KIMONO – A TRADITIONAL JAPANESE WEDDING IN TOKYO What is a Traditional Japanese Wedding? How is it done? and how much it costs?

2. Marriage Registration at the Municipal Government Office The Closest municipal government office from Tokyo Philippine Embassy is Minato City Office. We went there right after we receive the LCCM from Philippine Embassy. We presented all the required documents such as:

  • Certificate of Marriage Notification or “Konin Todoke” 婚姻届書

  • Passport or Proof of identification

  • Certificate of No Impediment or Affidavit of Competency to Marry (the same as the LCCM provided by the Philippine Embassy)

  • Original Birth Certificate

  • Japanese Family Registry or “Koseki Tohon” 戸籍謄本 – should be issued not more than a month to be valid.(Only for Japanese nationals)

The Certificate of Marriage Notification or “Konin Todoke” (婚姻届) is the application form for the registry of your marriage and it also requires a signature from two witnesses over 20 years of age.The witnesses are not required to be physically present at the time of registration. The registration process takes approximately an hour and it’s just basically filling the documents provided. Registration itself is free. We only had to pay for printing two important documents, the “Kekkon-todoke Kisai jiko Shōmeisho” (結婚届記載事項証明書) which is a huge document compiled together with all photocopies of the other documents submitted, and the “Kekkon-todoke Juri Shōmeisho” (結婚届受理証明書) which is an official document proving that you successfully registered your marriage. 3. Filing for “Report of Marriage Finally, after the registration we went back to the Philippine Embassy in tokyo to file for Report of Marriage or ROM. This is a necessary procedure to officially register your marriage to the Philippine Statistics Authority(PSA).

Requirements(from official website):

  • Personal appearance of both parties

  • Duly accomplished Report of Marriage (ROM) form

  • Valid passport of both parties – original and four (4) copies of the data page

  • Konin Todoke no kisai Jiko Shomeisho (Certified true copy of Marriage certificate) from the City hall – Original and four (4) copies

  • If spouse is Japanese – latest Family Registry (Koseki Tohon) showing the couple’s date and place of marriage – Original and four (4) copies

  • If spouse is a foreign national, other than Japanese – Certificate of Acceptance of Marriage (Juri Shomeisho)

  • Affidavit of delayed registration of marriage – for 1 year beyond date of Marriage

  • Passport-sized photos – four (4) photos of husband; four (4) photos of wife.

  • ¥510 Letterpack (optional, if person will not claim document personally)

  • Applicable Fees

Take note that all document photocopies should be in A4 size paper. Processing period takes up to 10 working days. And the document can be picked up from the embassy or delivered to your address in Japan.

Did you find this article helpful? Let us know in the comment section. Thank you!

BTW here is our wedding video. Enjoy!

205 views0 comments